부산광역시 서구청 영문 스킵네비게이션

닫기
About seogu
History

The History of Seo-gu: Ancient times,
Post-liberation period, and the Present

Although it is hard to pinpoint the exact moment when humans first began to settle in the Seo-gu region, human traces in this region certainly date back to the Neolithic Age.
After liberation of the country from Japanese colonial rule, the Gu system was implemented in 1951 and six branch offices were established. Among those, Seobu branch office was established on the western side of Busan City Hall, located in Jungang-dong, as ‘Seo-bu’ literally refers to ‘western part’. The Seo-bu branch office eventually became Seo-gu in 1957 in accordance to the revised Gu system.

Seo-gu is a region featuring magnificent mountains, a beautiful blue ocean, year-round mild climate, and the kindness of its people. Since the opening of its port, the Seo-gu urban area began to modernize and it has since grown into an administrative, educational, legislative, and maritime fishery hub in Busan. Though there was a period of stagnation for Seo-gu as the court and several schools had relocated to other regions, it has recently entered into a vibrant phase once again, with the Songdo Coastal Improvement Project, Development of Gamcheon Port, and the Comprehensive Development Project of Cultural Flower Village all having been successfully completed. Seo-gu is now transforming itself into a pleasant residential district with prospering fishery and tourism industries set against the beautiful backdrop of a pristine blue ocean.

Let’s take a look at the path that Seo-gu has taken to come all the way to the present!

Ancient Period (Samhan Period)

Ancient Period (Samhan Period)
- Seo-gu belonged to Byeonhan during the Samhan Period (Jinhan, Byeonhan, and Mahan) and later was under the control of Geumgwan Gaya during the 6 Gaya period.
- Later it belonged to the territory of Gauchilsanguk.

Three Kingdoms to Unified Silla

Three Kingdoms to Unified Silla
Early 6th century After Silla annexed Gauchilsanguk, the district was incorporated into Silla. During the 6th year of King Jijeung’s reign (AD 505), the district belonged to Gauchilsan-gun.
In the 16th year of King Gyeongdeok’s reign (AD 757) The name of Gauchilsan-gun was changed to Dongnae-gun, and Seo-gu region went under the control of Dongpyeong-hyeon, which belonged to Dangnae-gun.
In the 6th year of Queen Jinseong’s reign (AD 892) During the Later Three Kingdoms Period, the district temporarily went under the control of Gyeonhwon from Late Baekje.

Goryeo Dynasty

Goryeo Dynasty
1st year of King Taejo’s reign
(AD 918)
As part of Silla's Gunhyeon System (9-ju 5-kyeong), Sangju, Yangju and Gyeongju were collectively referred to as 'Dongnamdo,' in which Seo-gu district was included. Later when the whole country was reorganized as 2-kyeong 4-dohobu 10-do, the district belonged to Yeongdongdo.
3rd year of King Yejong’s reign
(AD 1108)
When Yeongnamdo and Yeongdongdo were united and Gyeongsangjudo and Jinhyupjudo were separated, the district belonged to Gyeongsangjudo
17th year of King Gongmin’s reign
(AD 1368)
The name 'Busan' was used for the first time.

From Liberation to Present

1951~1970
Sep 1, 1951Seo-gu branch office was established.
Jan 1, 1957Seo-gu was established as part of the Busan City's Gu System implementation (1 branch office / 25 dongs).
Jan 1, 1966Ami-dong was divided into Ami 1?2 dong while Goejeong 1-dong was divided into Goejeong 1?2-dong (27 dongs).
1971~1990
Oct 1, 1975Saha branch office was promoted into a city district control branch office (18 dongs under the jurisdiction of Seo-gu).
Feb 15, 1978Part of Hakjang-dong, Busanjin-gu was incorporated into Seodaesin 4-dong.
May 1, 1982Names of legal dongs were changed (Wanwol-dong 1, 2-ga→Chungmu-dong 2, 3-ga).
Apr 16, 1988Autonomous local government came into effect.
Jan 1, 1989Part of Chojang-dong was incorporated into Toseong-dong.
1991~2010
Apr 15, 1991District council was opened.
Jun 27, 1995Chief adminidstrator was elected by popular vote.
Oct 1, 1998Administrative dongs were reorganized and merged (3 dongs, Buyong, Bumin, Toseong, Chungmu, Ami 1+ Ami 2, Ami).
Jan 1, 2003The district government office moved from 270, 2-ga, Seodaesin to 1, Seogu office 1 Gil (2-3, 4-ga, Toseong-dong).
Jan 1, 2006Administrative dongs were reorganized and merged (Seodaesin 1-dong + Seodaesin 2-dong → Seodaesin 1-dong).
Jan 1, 2009Administrative dongs were reorganized and merged (Nambumin 2-dong + Nambumin 3-dong → Nambumin 2-dong).