173, Dongdaesin-dong 3(sam)-ga (Pedestrian Street in front of Munhwa Mansion)
Material and size
Natural rocks, 220x110x30 (cm)
January 11, 1995
※ One streetcar is on display at Dong-A University’s Gudeok Campus
Streetcars were the choice of transportation for residents of Busan from 1928 to 1968. Daesin-dong Streetcar Terminal was the last stop.
The first streetcar to operate in Busan was between Busanjin and Dongnae. The route was shared by a train and streetcar and began its service on November 1, 1915.
Another route was setup from Busan Post Office in Jungang-dong to Daecheong-dong, Bosu-dong, and Toseong-dong in September 1916. A new route
opened the following year in December 1917 traveling from the Post Office to the streets of Jungang-dong, Gwangbok-dong and all the way to Korea Electric Power Corporation in Toseong-dong.
A public sports stadium opened in Daesin-dong in 1920. The facilities became so popular by 1928 that the streetcar route that passed the Provincial Office (now Dong-A University’s Bumin-dong Campus) and ended at Buyong-dong was extended all the way to the sports stadium in September of that year.
Another route was completed between Jungang-dong past Yeongdo Bridge to Yeongdo Island by February 1935. In 1936, 173, Dongdaesin-dong 3(sam)-ga became the last stop of a streetcar route just south of where Gudeok Stadium is today. A terminal was built where all forty-something streetcars would gather in the after-hours until they set off for another day’s work at dawn. The terminal both served as a starting point and an end. Busan’s population continued to boom and the streets became more constricted over time. The streetcars running across the center of the street hindered the flow of traffic and caused numerous accidents. On May 20, 1968, the streetcars were shut down and the rails were removed. The streets were now for cars only. The terminal at Gudeok Stadium was also destroyed. Daesin Munhwa Mansion, Busan’s first luxury apartment complex, took its place in February 1972.